Continuing our tradition of providing free additional content for all our games, Tripwire Interactive is pleased to announce the release of the “Island Assault” Content Pack for Rising Storm. So that everyone gets a chance to try out the free content pack as well as the base game, we are running our first ever free weekend for Rising Storm (that means you can play the full game, for free, all weekend), starting today (Thursday 26 September), through Sunday.
The pack includes the following new features for the games:
- Multiplayer Campaign Mode is an all new paradigm in multiplayer FPS games – more than just a game type, it ties the game types and individual matches together into a campaign that can keep you occupied for hours. This gives the multiplayer game more depth than ever before, as individual matches now matter for the overall victory or loss in the MP campaign. Both sides battle it out to control territories on a large scale battle map, voting on which territories to attack, whether to attempt to take more territory, or to defend and try to grind down the enemy’s resources. We like to say it is like a “meta-game” of Risk. This features both Stalingrad and Pacific Theater campaigns.
- All new level: Betio. The tiny island of Betio was the scene of the heaviest fighting during the Battle of Tarawa in November 1943, the first major US amphibious offensive of the Pacific Theater. The map here recreates the push of the US 2nd Marine Division across the devastated island against their counterparts in the 6th Special Naval Landing Force (the Japanese ‘Marines’) as the US forces attempt to disable key tactical objectives such as naval guns and transmitter stations. The map favors desperate pitched defenses and assaults at all costs.
- Two new weapons, one for Rising Storm and one for Red Orchestra 2. Red Orchestra 2 gets the PPS-42 submachine gun. Born out of desperation during the siege of Leningrad, the PPS-42 provides the Russians with a powerful, lightweight SMG option. For Rising Storm, the Japanese get the Type 97 sniper rifle. More accurate than the existing Type 99 sniper rifle, this weapon gives the Japanese another way to reach out and touch their enemies.
- Classic Mode Refinements. While Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 are considered by many to be one of the most hardcore shooters out there, the hardcore among the fan base have been clamoring for something even more extreme and authentic. The fans have asked and we’ve answered with further refinements to Classic Mode (the most hardcore gameplay mode in RS/RO2). We’ve made player movement changes, as well as aiming and recoil changes to make it more difficult to keep your aim on enemies resulting in longer and more intense firefights.
You can pick up the games on Steam: Rising Storm (http://store.steampowered.com/app/234510) and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/). Remember that Rising Storm includes all the multi-player content of Red Orchestra 2!
Following on from the release of the first set of maps from our $35,000 Counterattack Mapping Contest for Red Orchestra 2 – and the release of the critically-acclaimed Rising Storm – Tripwire Interactive has the second pack of maps to add into the game as Official Custom Maps. Today we are releasing the final three of those maps for Red Orchestra 2 completely free. And don’t forget that these will be available to everyone who bought Red Orchestra 2 OR Rising Storm (which includes all RO2 Multiplayer content). To help out further, we have Red Orchestra 2 (75% discount) AND Rising Storm (50% discount) on sale on a Midweek Madness deal on Steam from Tue 30 July through Thu 1 Aug.
These are some of the best maps you’ll see – adding some great new gameplay. All are included for free for everyone who owns the game. Don’t forget there are more great community maps and content on Steam Workshop, so head on over there now! We’ve also got a trailer for the pack showcasing these awesome new maps. You can view it on Vimeo or Youtube
The second Counterattack Map Contest Pack contains the following new maps:
- Bridges of Druzhina – features asymmetrical gameplay with the Soviets attacking across open country supported by a single tank, through a destroyed city and on to the final bridge.
- Cold Steel – a lethal warren of huge factory buildings, creating both longer-range fire-fights and sudden, brutal close-quarters battles.
- Gumrak Station – a re-imagining of an old favorite from the original Red Orchestra, as the Germans assault through trenches and a small village to the railway station of the title.
You won’t get a better chance to buy the games – so head over to Steam to grab Rising Storm (http://store.steampowered.com/app/234510) and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/) . Finally, if you’ve got a knack for making maps, the recently announced “Banzai” Mapping Contest for Rising Storm is in full swing. With over $25,000 in cash on the line, the competition is sure to get fierce. You can find more information on the contest here: http://risingstormgame.com/mapping-contest-2013.