… so here is the kickoff for one, from a discussion between Evan Lahti of PC Gamer and our own John Gibson, while Evan was out here for a look at Rising Storm:
Finally, finally, we have the results of the RO2 Mapping Contest! It took a LOT of deliberation and some heated debates here in the office – no doubt it will kick off more debate on the forums! Here are the headlines:
Grand Prize Winner: Danh Truong’s Winterwald, winning $5,000 and a serious Origin Laptop, engraved with RO2 artwork.
Best Original Level:
1. Winterwald by Danh Truong, winning $5,000
2. Bridges of Druzhina by Kieran Tobin, winning $2,500
3. Coldsteel by Johan van Pelt – wins $1,000
1. Gumrak Station by Maik Doktor, winning $5,000
2. Stalingrad Kessel by Florian Montaut, winning $2,500
3. We actually had a tie for third place, so we doubled up the prize:
Arad 2 by John Chalabi, winning $1,000 AND
Rakowice by Johan van Pelt, winning $1,000!
We had Dan Shannon chat to all the winners. For the results of those interviews, CLICK HERE.
And if you were a present short – or suddenly some friends of yours have some extra cash to spend – Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad – Game of the Year edition is on flash sale on Steam at a 75% discount. But only for a few hours, so spread the word! Ends at 11am (Eastern) on 26 December. Head for the store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/
Everyone will get to play Red Orchestra 2 multi-player completely free on Steam from today through Monday 17 December, to celebrate the release of the Fall 2012 Content Pack. Now you can try the game, plus all the content added in the Game of the Year and Fall 2012 Content Packs, which are completely free to everyone who owns the game. Not only is the game free this weekend, but if you decide to pick it up before Monday we’re selling it at 75% off! There is also a trailer (http://www.youtube.com/user/tripwireinteractive) to showcase the new content added in the free Fall 2012 Content Pack including the new map Barashka.
In case you’ve forgotten the Fall 2012 Content Pack is, of course, free to everyone who already owns the game and includes:
- Barashka, the new map, which is a re-imagining and re-working of an old favorite from the original Red Orchestra. This brings in combined arms combat, villages, bridges and a river crossing to fight for. The map features both Territory and Countdown game modes.
- Simplified and improved match flow and user interface for the Countdown game mode, which will make it much simpler to understand, making for much more instant and direct battles. Just to encourage everyone to try out the changes, we’ll be issuing Double XP towards your Honor from today in Countdown mode!
Of course, there are a host of other updates to the game. These include requests from the community, such as walk while actively firing machine guns from the hip; increased stamina pool in Classic; chat system refinements and more.
So don’t miss out, the free weekend is on now! Grab the game from Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/) and don’t forget and tell your friends.
Screenshots of course:
Discuss on the forums ->